- Heidi, you are the organizer of the World Challenge competition, where did you get the idea to organize a competition for women only?
I have dreamt about a competition like this since I started with armwrestling as a very young girl 20 years ago (I was only 11 years old).
In 2003, I set a goal to make this competition a reality and started to organize my thoughts about this project. There are a lot of really good competitions around the world, but unfortunately almost all of them focus on men only. In Sweden armwrestling is growing and when I’m visit schools, together with my father or my brothers, students often come and ask if they also are “armwrestlerins” (female armwrestlers). In some parts of Sweden, female armwrestlers are more common than male armwrestlers and because of this I think that Sweden is the perfect place to host this unique competition.
Photo: Malin Sydne
- This year you have changed the concept, tell us about it, and why did you change it?
I love to develop. Both myself and all projects that I work with. The concept is that the competition will be a team competition the three best armwrestling ladies from Lithuania, Russia and Sweden, totally nine competitors. Everyone meets everyone (but not ladies from the same country) and the country/team will get one point for each match they are winning and we will see what country will be the best in the world! And then the four best ladies will fight for the title; "the best armwrestler in the world"I think that this concept will be good for the competitors, the TV- program we will do (a production for TV4 Sport that will be 44 minutes long and broadcasted in the whole of Sweden), and also for the public. After that we have to evaluate the competition and do it even better 2013!
- How did you choose the 9 competitors for the World Challenge 2012?
Checking results list, own experiences from meeting the ladies at the armwrestling table and discussions with people in the armwrestling world. The World Challenge is the world’s most prestigious competition for woman, and a lot of girls with huge merits don´t dare to enter this competition. Only the toughest will be competing on the 8th of March in Skellefteå!
Egle and Heidi World Challenge I 2009.
- You and Egle Vaitkute, who won last year, had two great matches against each other 2009, with her finally winning. Have you changed your tactics for this year? What do you think your chances are of winning against Egle this year?
- Ha ha, Egle is strong if I would bet, I would bet on Egle. And of course she becomes stronger and stronger every year. I think we all (the competitors in the World Challenge) needs to cooperate and try to armwrestle long matches against her and maybe if her arms gets really pumped up and lactic someone can beat her. She is my favorite to win the title “the best armwrestler in the world”.